What is an online product and how does a person go about marketing one? That is often the question asked by those who are interested in creating digital products and then marketing them on the Internet. Here it will be explored exactly what an online product is and how you can go about marketing them online yourself.
An online product can have so many different meanings. For example, it can refer to any product that is sold on the Internet or it can refer to products that can only be sold online, such as digital products. For the explanation provided here, digital products or those that can only be sold online will be covered. If you’re marketing products that can also be sold offline as well, you can still get some pointers from this information which may be helpful.
An online product or digital product is one that Internet users purchase on the Internet and then download to their computer. There are also digital products that may not require a direct download though, such as an e-book that can be accessed as part of a website, rather than in PDF form. Digital or Internet products can include e-books, music, videos, software, applications or access to things such as training programs.
As for marketing online products, they can be marketed by using several different methods, including:
- Niche marketing: Marketing by using very specific key phrases and terms on your website for that product only. A niche website doesn’t have any other products or services on it and the goal is to reach a very specific audience.
- PPC marketing: Signing up for and using PPC (pay per click) advertising programs that are offered by the search engines and other websites. You only pay a fee when an Internet user clicks on the ad and visits your website.
- Video marketing: Recording a video and uploading it to sites like YouTube to showcase your digital product.
- Social media marketing: Using websites and services such as Facebook and Twitter to reach out to people and interact with those who may be interested in the online product that you’re offering.
- Email marketing: Building a list of email addresses by providing a sign up box on your website and social media sites and then sending people who opted in to your email list emails regarding your online product or products.
When it comes down to it, online products can be marketed using the same manners of any other Internet product or service. There are free choices, such as blogging about your online products and then there are methods which can get quite expensive like PPC and flat rate advertising.